Friday 2 March 2012

Snap.&.Twirl.

Speaking of light in the darkness, I must add that I'm also quite a fan of light in the light. Yes, quite a fan.

I absolutely love nature - everything about it really. The colours, the freedom, the growth, the inspiration, the joy, the light...natural light is spectacular. Without natural light & it's glorious playfulness, would Monet's lily-pads ever have received such appreciation? I think not (except by a frog that happened to be chilling near them in the river. Maybe) At college in Newcastle, however, I was encouraged to learn & appreciate a different kind of light - studio lighting. 'Unnatural', 'harsh', 'too bright' were all words that sprung to mind - nothing like the wonderful light in nature that changes as the day progresses - studio light is set. It doesn't change. It's man-made. It relies on electricity & technology - not my favourite combination of forces, I must say. Despite these initial feelings towards shooting in a studio setting I realised that it's pretty much essential in the world of commercial photography, so shunning it in this way may not be the best idea for my future career prospects...

Several lectures, studio demonstrations & class discussion later & I must say, I was being won over. It's quite remarkable, that studio lighting business! Yes rather remarkable indeed. Really incredible effects can be created & light can be manipulated exactly as one desires. How convenient...I'm sure Monet would have appreciate a little more convenience with the lighting conditions he experienced - as the natural light faded he'd have to stop painting, but studio lighting doesn't fade as time goes on. I realised that this was really very convenient for me - the serious perfectionist that I am...all the time in the world. Lucky model.
For one project we were required to carry out a 'High Key' lighting photoshoot in the studio. High key lighting aims to reduce the lighting ratio present in the scene, creating bright images full of light & mostly white tones. the kind of snaps you'd see in glossy magazines of models advertising make-up or hair bits & bobs. Bright, light & fun. No drama. For my photoshoot I decided to use my beautiful ballet dancer friend Natalie in her full ballet dancing attire. To prepare for the shoot I whacked some fake eye lashes on the lass & plastered her face with make-up. I did this, not because she needs lots of make-up - she's a true natural beauty - but because the number of lights & flashes on her make heavy make-up a priority. We had so much fun in the studio - twirling here & there, snapping here & there. Ya know, doing our favourite things. Ballet & photography. Love & love.

 I also want to capture movement in my work - drawing & photography. The next few snaps are some from capturing Natalie as she danced around.


And then I simply had to join in. With a tea pot, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment